Last modified: Wednesday, May 3, 2006
Second class of Cox Scholars selected at IU
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 3, 2006
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Twenty-one Indiana University undergraduates have been honored with selection as Cox Scholars for the 2006-07 academic year.
The Jesse H. and Beulah Chanley Cox Scholarship Fund is the largest merit-based scholarship program for working students at IU who are Indiana residents. The renewable scholarship provides 75 percent of the estimated cost of attendance on the Bloomington and IUPUI campuses for students who have demonstrated high academic achievement and who are working to earn 25 percent of their college expenses.
The Cox Scholarship offers special programs and seminars as well as an optional year of study abroad for the scholars. Now beginning its second year, the program will award more than 60 scholarships annually to sophomores, juniors and seniors when it is fully implemented in 2007-08.
"Jesse and Beulah Cox understood from their own life experiences both the challenges students face in financing their educations and the importance of that education to their futures," said Curt Simic, president of the IU Foundation, which administers the scholarships. "These students are enormously deserving of this honor."
The newly selected scholars have a 3.64 average grade-point average and have contributed an average of $6,000 toward their education. Eight of the 21 scholars are first-generation students.
"The Cox Scholarship program is more than just a financial endowment," Simic said. "It is a perpetual partnership between the scholar and Indiana University. It represents a commitment to hard work, the pursuit of knowledge, the spirit of philanthropy and the future of Indiana."
Here are the 2006 -07 Class of Cox Scholars with their hometowns and campuses:
- Jessica Baumer, Cambridge City, IU Bloomington
- Sarah Bonifer, Santa Claus, IU Bloomington
- Jared Boyd, Indianapolis, IUPUI
- Ty Childers, Bloomington, IU Bloomington
- Alissa Cook, Leo, IU Bloomington
- Alexandra Czok, Indianapolis, IUPUI
- Rossa Deegan, Goshen, IU Bloomington
- Julia Donhardt, Indianapolis, IUPUI
- E. Tabitha Earbin, Indianapolis, IUPUI
- Le Hong, Indianapolis, IUPUI
- Andrew Kincius, Kouts, IU Bloomington
- Jamie McIntosh, Sellersburg, IU Bloomington
- Julianne Martin, Brownsburg, IU Bloomington
- Kathryn Martin, Bloomington, IU Bloomington
- Jessica Mitchell, Bloomington, IU Bloomington
- Melissa Pflug, Madison, IU Bloomington
- Katheryn Sammons, Bloomington, IU Bloomington
- Amber Smallwood, Bloomington, IU Bloomington
- Lindsey Webb, Indianapolis, IUPUI
- Susan Whisler, Indianapolis, IUPUI
- DJuan Wilcher, Hobart, IU Bloomington
To learn more about the program and how to apply, go to http://iufoundation.iu.edu/cox/index.html.