Last modified: Wednesday, May 2, 2007
Search for new IU provost begins
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 3, 2007
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University School of Law Professor Fred H. Cate will chair a search and screen committee to review candidates for the position of provost and vice president for academic affairs of the Bloomington campus.
The committee was appointed by Michael A. McRobbie, who will leave the position of provost and vice president for academic affairs to become 18th president of Indiana University on July 1.
The search committee will conduct an internal search with the intent of having the next provost identified and in place by the same date.
Cate said the committee would begin its work immediately.
"This is a moment of great opportunity for the campus and the university to have a new president and new provost both hit the ground running on July first," Cate said. "The search committee certainly has its work cut out for it, but with superb colleagues and the support of the campus, I am confident we will be able to recommend a short list of outstanding candidates to President-elect McRobbie in time to meet that ambitious deadline."
The committee includes representatives from all major campus constituencies. Including Cate as chair, confirmed committee members are:
- Fred H. Cate, distinguished professor, IU School of Law-Bloomington, and co-chair of the Alliance of Distinguished and Titled Professors
- David Baker, distinguished professor and chair of the Department of Jazz Studies, Jacobs School of Music
- Thomas Gieryn, Rudy Professor of Sociology, College of Arts and Sciences
- Matthew Jarson, undergraduate and chief of staff to the Indiana University Student Association
- Peter Kaczmarczyk, Wells Library and president of CWA Local 4730
- George Kuh, Chancellor's Professor, School of Education
- Isabel Piedmont, French and Italian, College of Arts and Sciences, IU Bloomington Professional Council
- Lisa Pratt, professor, Department of Geological Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences
- Amy Reynolds, associate professor and associate dean for research and graduate studies, School of Journalism
- David Vollrath, professor of management, School of Business and Economics, IU South Bend
- Carolyn Walters, executive associate dean, IU Libraries
One or more additional members may be added.
For more information as the search progresses, go to http://www.iub.edu/provost/search/.