Experts & Speakers Faculty Profile
Kenneth J. de Jong
Associate Professor of Linguistics, College of Arts and Sciences
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Interests:Communicating, computer voice technology, dialects, language
- B.A. at Calvin College, 1984
- M.A. at Ohio State University, 1987
- Ph.D. at Ohio State University, 1991
- Studies the role of the speaker as opposed to the listener.
- Research includes a project to study English dialects through computer synthesis.
- His acoustical analysis of Brooklyn English has uncovered a connection between simplifying the act of speaking -- those who "talk Brooklyn" do so simply because it is easier -- and how a language changes.