Last modified: Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Traffic information for Friday's Homecoming Parade
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oct. 14, 2009
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Rain or shine, the 2009 Indiana University Homecoming Parade will take place this Friday (Oct. 16).
The parade will create congestion and traffic delays near the parade route and staging area. Drivers should plan to avoid these areas on Friday afternoon or leave early before the parade or allow time for the delay. The IU Police Department will have officers stationed at approximately 3:30 p.m. at major intersections to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
Below is a tentative schedule:
- 3:45 p.m. -- Staging of the parade vehicles on Rose Avenue, between Third Street and Seventh Street, and west on Seventh Street from Rose Avenue. Access will be limited to Seventh Street between Jordan Avenue and Union Street.
- 4 to 5:15 p.m. -- The parade will line up.
- Approximately 5:15 p.m. -- A 'traffic pattern' along the parade route will go into effect. Traffic entering onto Jordan Avenue north of Third Street will be diverted north. There will be no eastbound traffic on Seventh Street from Jordan Ave and no westbound traffic from Union Street. On Third Street, there will be no westbound traffic from High Street. All traffic from Union onto Third streets will be turned eastbound. On Indiana Avenue, northbound traffic will be turned west at Third Street and Indiana Ave.
- 5:30 p.m. -- The parade begins.
- 6:30 p.m. -- The parade ends at Sample Gate and the pep rally begins in nearby Dunn Meadow.
- Fireworks follow the conclusion of the pep rally.
More information about the Homecoming Parade and other Homecoming weekend activities is available from the IU Alumni Association at http://alumni.indiana.edu/events/homecoming/home2009.shtml.