Last modified: Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Indiana University endowment among top publics in nation
Investment returns outpace national average
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 8, 2011
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University ranks 13th in the nation among public universities in the market value of its endowment, according to the National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)-Commonfund Study of Endowments (NCSE) released recently.
As of June 30, 2010, Indiana University's endowment totaled $1.37 billion, which placed IU seventh among the Big Ten public universities. Eight hundred and forty-five U.S. colleges and universities participated in this year's survey.
The market value of the endowment grew by 11.8 percent in the 2010 fiscal year, said Gene Tempel, president of the Indiana University Foundation, which manages the endowment. Endowment growth is affected not only by return on investments but also by gifts added to the endowment and distributions made from the endowment during the fiscal year.
"But the best news," said Tempel, "is the return on investments achieved by the Investment Committee of the Foundation's Board of Directors and our investment staff. Our investments returned 12.8 percent during the fiscal year, compared to a national average of 12.2 percent for universities with endowments of $1 billion or more."
The Top 15 public universities and the value of their endowments, as listed by the NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments:
Market Value as of June 30, 2010 (in thousands of dollars)
1. The University of Texas -- $14,052,220
2. * University of Michigan -- $6,564,144
3. Texas A&M University -- $5,738,289
4. University of California -- $5,441,225
5. University of Virginia -- $3,906,823
6. * University of Minnesota -- $2,195,740
7. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill $1,979,222
8. * The Ohio State University -- $1,869,312
9. University of Washington -- $1,829,868
10. * Purdue University -- $1,633,034
11. * University of Wisconsin -- $1,551,384
12. * Michigan State University -- $1,449,408
13. * INDIANA UNIVERSITY -- $1,371,025
14. * The Pennsylvania State University -- $1,368,031
15. * University of Illinois -- $1,289,871
* Big Ten public universities indicated with an asterisk.
For more information on the NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, visit the National Association of College and University Business Officers at www.nacubo.org or Commonfund Institute at www.commonfund.org.