Historic win for IU at Penn State
April 24, 2011
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Indiana men's tennis closed the 2011 regular season on Sunday, knocking off Penn State 6-1 to close the season with a 9-1 record in Big Ten play. The Hoosiers finish 9-1 for just the second time IU school history, matching the Hoosiers' 1991-92 season for the best conference record in IU lore. The win is IU's 22nd of the season, matching the most victories ever in one season by a Hoosier team.
Indiana swept doubles play and followed with wins at 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 singles. With his win at number three singles, Josh MacTaggart moved to 9-1 in Big Ten play this season, as did Stephen Vogl at number five singles. MacTaggart took down Russell Bader by a 6-1, 6-3 tally, and Vogl knocked off Chris Hasyn 6-1, 7-6.
Santiago Gruter and Jeremy Langer moved to 9-1 in Big Ten doubles play, knocking off Russell Bader and Eddie Bourchier at number one doubles by an 8-5 score.
The Hoosiers got singles wins from Gruter at number two (def. Jason Lee 6-4, 2-6, 6-3), Isade Juneau at number four (def. Bryan Welnetz 6-2, 6-1) and Dimitrije Tasic at number six (def. Harry Seaborn 6-4, 6-3).
The Hoosiers return to action when they travel to Madison, Wis., for the Big Ten Men's Tennis Tournament.
No. 24 Indiana 6, Penn State 1
April 24, 2011 (Penn State Indoor Tennis Center)
1. Eddie Bourchier (PSU) def. Jeremy Langer (IU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
2. Santiago Gruter (IU) def. Jason Lee (PSU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
3. Josh MacTaggart (IU) def. Russell Bader (PSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Isade Juneau (IU) def. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Stephen Vogl (IU) def. Chris Hasyn (PSU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Dimitrije Tasic (IU) def. Harry Seaborn (PSU) 6-4, 6-3
1. #63 Jeremy Langer/Santiago Gruter (IU) def. Russell Bader/Eddie Bourchier (PSU) 8-5
2. #87 Josh MacTaggart/Stephen Vogl (IU) def. Chris Hasyn/Jason Lee (PSU) 8-4
3. Isade Juneau/Will Kendall (IU) def. Bryan Welnetz/Harry Seaborn (PSU) 8-2