Last modified: Tuesday, February 28, 2006
IU endowment ranks in top 15 nationally
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Feb. 28, 2006
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University ranks among America's top 15 public universities in the market value of its endowment, according to a survey released by the National Association of College and University Business Officers in conjunction with TIAA-CREF, a national financial services organization. This is the 15th consecutive year that IU has ranked among the nation's largest public university endowments.
This year IU was 15th among all public colleges and universities in the country and eighth in the Big Ten. More than 745 colleges and universities participated in the survey.
"Our goal is to enhance the purchasing power of the endowment for the long-term benefit of IU," said Curt Simic, president of the IU Foundation, which manages the university's endowment. "The Investment Committee of our Board of Directors has guided us well over the years. Over the past 10 years, returns have compounded at 10.4 percent," Simic said.
"We thank the generous donors who have established endowments for IU," Simic said. "Earnings on the endowment provide scholarships and fellowships for students, faculty support, equipment, buildings and many elements that make IU great."
Top 15 public university endowments
Market value of endowment assets as of June 30, 2005 (in thousands)
1. University of Texas System -- $11,610,997
2. University of California -- 5,221,916
3. The Texas A&M University System and Foundations -- 4,963,879
4. University of Michigan -- 4,931,338
5. University of Virginia -- 3,219,098
6. University of Minnesota and Foundation -- 1,968,930
7. Ohio State University and Foundation -- 1,726,007
8. University of Pittsburgh -- 1,529,884
9. University of Washington -- 1,489,924
10. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Foundations -- 1,486,147
11. Purdue University -- 1,340,536
12. Pennsylvania State University -- 1,174,828
13. University of Illinois and Foundation -- 1,147,517
14. University of Wisconsin and Foundation -- 1,124,855
15. Indiana University and Foundation -- 1,107,498
Big Ten universities appear in italics.
This presentation includes the top 15 public universities in the United States.