Last modified: Wednesday, May 3, 2006
Recipients of Dean of Students Awards announced
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 3, 2006
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Seven persons and two programs were recognized at an awards ceremony on April 20 for their contributions to the Dean of Students and the Division of Student Affairs at Indiana University Bloomington. The awards recognize outstanding contributions to the division by students, staff, faculty and individuals in the Bloomington community.
Nominations for the awards were made by the division's staff members and chosen by an award selections committee. The awards were presented by Richard N. McKaig, dean of students and vice president for student affairs at IU Bloomington.
The recipients and their awards were:
- Student Award -- Danny Ambrose of Santa Cruz, Calif., a graduate student in student affairs administration in the School of Education and a graduate supervisor at Forest Quadrangle
- Division Student Staff Award -- Elizabeth Doggett of Bloomington, Ind., a graduate assistant in the Student Ethics and Student Activities Office and a graduate student in student affairs administration in the School of Education
- Gordon Faculty Award -- Elizabeth Boling, chair and professor, Instructional Systems Technology, School of Education
- Staff Award -- Candy Brown, departmental secretary in the Office of the Registrar
- Division Support Staff Award -- Lucia Wrestler, departmental secretary in the Student Advocates Office
- Shaffer Professional Staff Award -- Nancy Macklin, director of nursing at the IU Health Center
- Schreck Community Award -- Bloomington Parks and Recreation
- Campus Program Award -- Y'ALL (Youth Advocating Leadership and Learning), a student spring break project to provide Hurricane Katrina relief
- Shoemaker Special Merit Award -- Rich Mull, director of the IU Tennis Center and the Center for Student Leadership Development in the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation.
Several of the awards are designated in honor of the former deans of students who have served IU Bloomington. The Special Merit Award is named for Colonel Raymond L. Shoemaker, dean of students from 1946 to 1955. The Division Professional Staff Award is named for Robert H. Shaffer, dean of students from 1955 to 1969. The Community Award is named for Thomas C. Schreck, dean of students from 1969 to 1981. The Faculty Award is named for Michael V. W. Gordon, dean of students from 1981 to 1991.
The Division of Student Affairs includes the Dean of Students Office, Alcohol and Drug Information Center, Career Development Center, Disability Services for Students, Health Center, Parents Association, Student Activities Office, Student Advocates Office, Student Ethics and Anti-Harassment Programs, Student Legal Services, and Veterans Affairs.