Last modified: Thursday, May 17, 2007
IU license plates fund scholarships for 23 students
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 17, 2007
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University license plates are much more than automobile identifiers or symbols of school pride. They are a source of scholarship funds for IU students. This year, a portion of the revenue generated by the sale of IU license plates has provided $23,000 in scholarships for IU students.
Twenty-three students have been named IU Alumni Association Scholars for 2007-2008 and will each receive a $1,000 scholarship. Chosen based on financial need and academic achievement, IUAA Scholars are full-time undergraduate students who are sons and daughters of IU Alumni Association members.
The 2007-2008 IUAA Scholars are:
- Emily Berman, a sophomore at IU Bloomington from Louisville, Ky.
- Cassandra Brown, a junior at IU Northwest from Portage, Ind.
- Aaron Bryson, a freshman at IU Bloomington from Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Ethan Cirmo, a sophomore at IU Bloomington from Cortland, N.Y.
- Kelly Comer, a freshman at IU South Bend from South Bend, Ind.
- Nathan Doran, a freshman at IU Bloomington from Kokomo, Ind.
- James Dreesen, a junior at IU Bloomington from Bloomington, Ind.
- Heather Gold, a freshman at IU East from New Castle, Ind.
- Lauren Hanns, a sophomore at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis from Bedford, Ind.
- Caleb Howell, a freshman at IU Kokomo from Rochester, Ind.
- Brian Klarich, a freshman at IU Bloomington from Bloomington, Ind.
- Jaclyn Kochell, a freshman at IU Bloomington from Indianapolis
- Sara Kochell, a junior at IU Bloomington from Indianapolis
- Andrew Manz, a freshman at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne from Paulding, Ohio
- Frederick Manz, a junior at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne from Paulding, Ohio
- Jennifer Marcus, a junior at IU Bloomington from Cedarhurst, N.Y.
- Mallory Miller, a freshman at IU Bloomington from Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Sandi Miller, a junior at Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne from North Webster, Ind.
- Joseph Sinn, a freshman at Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne from Latty, Ohio
- Anthony Smith, a sophomore at IU Bloomington from Wolcottville, Ind.
- Haley Waltman, a freshman at IU Bloomington from Shreveport, La.
- Kurt Weisman, a freshman at IU Bloomington from Otwell, Ind.
- Heather Wolfe, a sophomore at IU Bloomington from Charleston, W.Va.
Including this year's scholarships, the IUAA Scholars program has awarded 199 $1,000 scholarships in 13 years. In its history, the IU Alumni Association has awarded more than $3.4 million in scholarships to IU students.
The IUAA Scholars program is funded entirely by the sale of IU license plates. More than 37,000 IU plates are on Hoosier vehicles, making the IU plate the most popular collegiate license plate in Indiana. With the purchase of each IU license plate, a $25 tax-deductible contribution is made to the IU Alumni Association to fund scholarships and many other programs and services.
The IU Alumni Association is dedicated to serving the university and its diverse alumni, students and friends. As one of the nation's largest alumni organizations, serving more than 495,000 graduates worldwide, the IUAA provides many programs and services to its members, non-member alumni and the university. For information, visit www.alumni.indiana.edu or call 800-824-3044.