Last modified: Tuesday, November 20, 2007
'America’s Top Doctors for Cancers' recognizes 18 IU Simon Cancer Center physicians
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nov. 20, 2007
INDIANAPOLIS -- Eighteen physicians with the Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center have been recognized as the best in their field.
The 18 are among 21 in Indiana included in the most recent edition of America's Top Doctors for Cancer. The new guide identifies the nation's most outstanding physicians for the diagnosis and treatment of cancers in adults and children.
"The IU Simon Cancer Center strives to excel in patient care and treatment with dedicated physicians who are recognized nationally for their expertise," IU School of Medicine Dean D. Craig Brater, M.D., said. "This expertise reflects both our culture and our environment -- a culture of always trying to generate new knowledge and apply that to patient care, and an environment of collaboration and team work among all health professionals at our partner hospitals -- Wishard Health Services, the Roudebush VA Medical Center and Clarian Health -- and our colleagues at other campuses such as IU Bloomington, Purdue and Notre Dame.
"It is said that hard work is its own reward, but acknowledgment of a job well done by 'America's Top Doctors' is always appreciated," Brater said.
America's Top Doctors for Cancer include:
- Dennis Blom (surgery)
- John J. Coleman III, MD (plastic surgery)
- Lawrence H. Einhorn, MD (medical oncology)
- Robert J. Fallon, MD (pediatric hematology-oncology)
- Richard S. Foster, MD (urology)
- Robert J. Goulet Jr., MD (surgery)
- Jay L. Grosfeld, MD (pediatric surgery)
- Valerie P. Jackson, MD (diagnostic radiation)
- Keith D. Lillemoe, MD (surgery)
- Patrick J. Loehrer, Sr. MD (medical oncology)
- Katherine Look, MD (gynecologic oncology)
- Scott Shapiro, MD (neurological surgery)
- George W. Sledge Jr., MD (medical oncology)
- Frederick B. Stehman, MD (gynecologic oncology)
- Allan Thornton Jr., MD (radiation oncology; Thornton is with the Midwest Proton Radiotherapy Institute in Bloomington, which is affiliated with the IU Simon Cancer Center)
- Thomas M. Ulbright, MD (pathology)
- Terry A. Vik, MD (pediatric hematology-oncology)
- Stephen D. Williams, MD (medical oncology)
Published by Castle Connolly, the guide contains detailed profiles of more than 2,200 of America's leading cancer specialists across more than 40 medical specialties. The doctors are selected by a physician-led research team based on comprehensive national surveys of physicians and medical leaders.
The guide also offers tips for selecting a doctor for cancer, or any specialty. Consider the following:
- Medical education
- Residency and fellowships
- Board certification
- Hospital appointment
- Academic and other professional titles
- Insurance accepted
The IU Simon Cancer Center, a partnership between the Indiana University School of Medicine and Clarian Health, is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center providing clinical care in Indiana. Its new outpatient and inpatient facility, opening in September 2008, will bring care under one roof, giving patients access to world-class specialists and innovative therapies.