Last modified: Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Search for IU East chancellor to begin
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 28, 2008
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University President Michael McRobbie today (May 28) announced the appointment of an 11-member search and screen committee to recommend finalists for the position of chancellor at IU East, the university's campus in Richmond, Ind.
Former IU East Chancellor David Fulton retired at the end of the 2006-07 academic year. Nasser Paydar, former vice chancellor and dean of Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus (IUPUC), has been serving as interim chancellor since Fulton's retirement.
"I am confident that the search committee will identify those individuals best positioned to continue the growth of IU East and develop new opportunities for increased collaboration with the Richmond community," McRobbie said. "The next chancellor will continue to develop academic programs and campus-community partnerships that strengthen the educational environment of the region."
The committee will be chaired by Ruth Person, chancellor of IU Kokomo, and include representatives from the faculty, staff and student body at IU East as well as from the greater Richmond community. It will conduct a search for a group of finalists that will be recommended to McRobbie for consideration. It hopes to complete its work early in the fall semester and has set a goal of having a new chancellor named during the 2008-09 academic year.
"We are going to work diligently as a committee to ensure that we have a strong pool of candidates," said Person.
In addition to Chancellor Person, members of the search committee include:
- Cathy Ludlum Foos, professor of philosophy, IU East
- David Frantz, associate professor of management and chair, Division of Business and Economics, IU East
- Kumara Jayasuriya, associate professor of mathematics and chair, Natural Science and Mathematics, IU East
- Joyce O'Brien, secretary to the Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences, IU East
- Cassandra Oaks, undergraduate student, IU East
- Sherry Rankin, clinical assistant professor of nursing, IU East
- T.J. Rivard, associate professor of English and chair, Humanities and Fine Arts, IU East
- Alan M. Spears, senior vice president, First Bank, Richmond
- Cheryl Stolle, clinical assistant professor of education, IU East
- John Applegate, presidential fellow, IU Bloomington, ex officio
IU East is a 182-acre campus is located in Richmond and has approximately 2,200 students, more than 300 faculty and staff personnel, and an operating budget of $23 million. IU East shares its campus with Ivy Tech Richmond and Purdue University programs. It serves as an essential educational resource and an important element of economic development in its two-state region.