Last modified: Friday, August 22, 2008
IU Police Department offers traffic tips for student move-in week
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Aug. 22, 2008
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The primary day to move into Indiana University residence halls will be Wednesday, Aug. 27. However, as early as Sunday, Aug. 24, students will begin moving into campus residence facilities.
The Indiana University Police Department says traffic congestion should be expected Aug. 24-27 and suggests motorists should, if possible, avoid streets through and adjacent to the university during those days.
On Wednesday Aug. 27, starting at 7 a.m., the IU Police Department will have approximately 75 uniformed officers on duty to control traffic and parking during the opening of the residence halls. Officers will be stationed at these facilities and at critical intersections to keep traffic flowing while assisting students and their families with their move to campus.
IUPD will have bike patrol officers as well as motor patrol units circulating throughout the campus to respond as officers are needed.
Driving, parking and unloading tips
- After unloading, drivers should move their vehicles to the larger lots: for example, 10th Street Lot, Jordan Avenue Garage, Athletic Parking Lots.
- For quickest access to Briscoe, McNutt and Foster Quads, use 17th Street and Fee Lane from the north.
- For quickest access to Eigenmann, Ashton, Teter and Wright residence halls, use 10th Street from the east.
- For quickest access to Forest, Read or Willkie, use Third Street from the east or west.
- For quickest access to Collins Center, use 10th Street or Seventh Street from the west.
Parking restrictions and traffic patterns
The large number of pedestrians and heavy vehicular traffic will make it necessary to restrict parking and modify traffic patterns at certain locations.
- Sunrise Avenue, (on the east side of Teter Quad) and Campbell Drive (on the east side of Wright Quad) between 10th and Seventh Streets, will be one-way south from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Aug. 27. Parking will be regulated for those unloading vehicles.
- The Jordan Avenue Garage will be open free of charge from 7a.m. to 6 p.m. Aug. 27.
- Eigenmann Hall Circle: (10th and Union streets): Drive north on Union Street from Third Street; traffic will enter the circle drive from Union and exit onto 10th Street.
- Read Center North Drive: The entrance and exit will be off of Jordan Avenue and traffic will be directed in a clockwise fashion around the circle.
- Collins Center (10th Street and Woodlawn Avenue): The traffic pattern will be changed from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Aug. 27. Park Avenue will be one-way north from Seventh Street to 10th Street; Woodlawn Avenue will be one-way south from 10th Street to Seventh Street.
- Campus Bus routes will have very limited service with no routes in the vicinity of the residence halls.
Bloomington Police and Indiana State Police will be assisting motorists entering Bloomington and traveling through the city. For non-emergencies please contact Bloomington Police at 812-339-4477 or the IU Police Department at 812-855-4111. If an emergency exists, please dial 911.