Last modified: Thursday, February 12, 2009
How-to workshop on nonprofits offered to community
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Feb. 12, 2009
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University Bloomington academic programs and student groups are joining with community organizations to present a free workshop and panel discussion on what's involved in starting nonprofit organizations.
"So You Want to Start a Nonprofit" will take place from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 20, at the Monroe County Public Library, Room 1C. The workshop is co-sponsored by the Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA); SPEA's Nonprofit Management Association, a graduate student group; and the Nonprofit Alliance for Monroe County.
It will feature the founders of several Bloomington charitable organizations and students from the Indiana University Maurer School of Law's Nonprofit Legal Clinic.
Panelists will address the legal, planning and organizational steps needed to create and incorporate a nonprofit. They will also help participants understand alternatives to creating a freestanding organization, such as collaborations and mergers with existing organizations. The workshop is open to the public and will be of interest to all community members who have charitable interests that they want to see realized.
- Meghann Beer, executive director of the 2-year-old organization Giving Back to Africa.
- Sheri Benham, founder and executive director of Stepping Stones, Inc., a group home for teens incorporated in 2005.
- Denise Lessow, executive director of Pinnacle School, an independent K-12 grade school now in its 27th year.
- Arman Sarkisian and Rachel Yates of the Nonprofit Legal Clinic of the Indiana University Maurer School of Law.
- Beth Gazley, assistant professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs and a former nonprofit manager and consultant.
A light lunch will be served or attendees may bring a brown-bag lunch. To make a reservation for the lunch, or for more information, contact Desma Jones at 812-855-5971 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 18.