Last modified: Friday, March 25, 2011
Road closings, course map for IU Mini Marathon and 5K Run/Walk on April 2
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 25, 2011
Editors: A map of this year's route is below.
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Plan for delays and alternate routes next Saturday (April 2), as the sixth annual IU Mini Marathon and 5K Run/Walk winds through the Indiana University campus, downtown Bloomington and neighborhoods on the south side of the city.
More than 1,000 runners and walkers are expected to hit the streets to raise awareness and support for IU students who are also cancer survivors.
From 5 a.m. to 2 p.m., 17th Street will close between Indiana Avenue and Fee Lane. Other delays will occur between 8 a.m. and noon as follows:
- 8 to 8:45 a.m.:17th Street (Indiana to Walnut)
- 8 to 9 a.m.: Walnut (17th to Kirkwood)
- 8 to 9:15 a.m.: Kirkwood (Walnut to Indiana)
- 8 to 9:30 a.m.: 10th and Fee Lane
- 8 to 9:30 a.m.: Fee (10th to Jordan)
- 8 a.m. to noon: Indiana (Kirkwood to 17th)
- 8:15 to 9:45 a.m.: N. Jordan Ext. to 10th
- 8:45 to 10:15 a.m.: Jordan (10th to Second)
- 8:45 to 10:15 a.m.: Second (Jordan to Woodcrest)
- 9 to 10:30 a.m.: Woodcrest, Woodbine, Rechter, Winfield
- 9 to 11 a.m.: Renwick to Rock Creek
- 9:15 to 11 a.m.: High (Rock Creek to Winslow)
- 9:15 to 11 a.m.: Winslow (High to Highland)
- 9:15 to 11:15 a.m.: Highland (Winslow to Azalea)
- 9:15 to 11:30 a.m.: Azalea to Wylie Farm
- 9:15 to 11:30 a.m.: Henderson (Wylie Farm to Hillside)
- 9:15 a.m. to noon: Henderson (Hillside to Kirkwood)
During the IU Mini Marathon, those traveling east or west should take the 45-46 Bypass and Rhorer Road to avoid delays on Third Street, Atwater Avenue, 17th Street, Winslow Road and Moores Pike. Those traveling north or south should take Sare Road, College Mall Road, 45-46 Bypass, Walnut, and College.
"We know the road closures will cause some inconvenience, but the event raises money for a great cause and it's another opportunity for Indiana University and Bloomington to showcase our wonderful community," says Mark Skirvin, senior director of alumni outreach for the IU Alumni Association, which coordinates the event.
Those who want to participate in the event can register online until Tuesday (March 29) at https://alumni.indiana.edu/events/iumini/registration.shtml. After that, 5K participants may register in person at packet pick-up on the west side of Memorial Stadium on Friday, April 1, from 4 to 8 p.m. On April 2, the day of the event, 5K participants can register from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m. at the DeVault Alumni Center, 1000 E. 17th St.
Students started the IU Mini Marathon and 5K Run/Walk in 2006 to benefit the Bill Z. Littlefield Scholarship Fund for cancer survivors who are also IU students. Littlefield, an IU Kelley School of Business faculty member, succumbed to mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer caused by asbestos exposure, in 2005.
Since the event's inception, more than 10,000 people have participated with more than $100,000 raised for the scholarship fund.
The IU Alumni Association is dedicated to serving the university and its diverse alumni, students and friends. As one of the nation's largest alumni organizations, serving more than 540,000 graduates worldwide, the IUAA provides many programs and services to its members, nonmember alumni and the university. For information, visit www.alumni.indiana.edu or call 800-824-3044.