Last modified: Friday, August 10, 2012
IU welcomes new and returning students to campuses across the state
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Aug. 10, 2012
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University will begin welcoming new and returning students to its eight campuses next week.
Fall semester classes begin Monday, Aug. 20, at IU Bloomington, IU Kokomo, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne and Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. Classes at IU East, IU Northwest, IU South Bend and IU Southeast are back in session on Monday, Aug. 27.
On the Bloomington campus, the Office of First Year Experience Programs and campus programming partners host Welcome Week, which helps incoming students learn about and connect with people, places, services and opportunities at IU.
"Familiarity breeds comfort and confidence," said Melanie Payne, associate director of First Year Experience Programs and director of New Student Orientation, who coordinates the week. "We plan Welcome Week with all that in mind; it is designed to familiarize students with all that IU has here for them: the people, the connections, the services. When students become comfortable and confident, they are more likely to reach out for help or ask questions. And, at IU, the support and opportunities are just waiting for them."
While a complete list of Welcome Week activities is available online, signature events on the Bloomington campus include:
- Aug. 15: Freshman Induction, a university tradition for more than 70 years. Participants will hear from IU President Michael A. McRobbie and Provost Lauren Robel; learn the words to "Hail to Old IU," the official alma mater song; make the Indiana Promise, which expresses commitment to personal responsibility, ethics and respect; and then take part in the traditional induction picnic.
- Aug. 16: CultureFest, which allows participants to taste, see and experience IU's cultural diversity, followed by an after-party at the IU Art Museum.
- Aug. 17: Traditions & Spirit of IU, a cream-and-crimson-filled event where participants will learn the fight song and see the biggest names in IU sports.
- Aug. 18: New Student Service Day, an opportunity to connect with your new community by improving it through volunteer service projects.
IU's "party animals," those personified animal figurines that represent the university's Street Smart campaign for personal safety, will be visible throughout the week. Incoming students can also use the free SCVNGR smartphone application to explore the Bloomington campus and earn points toward free prizes. Follow Welcome Week news on Facebook and on Twitter at @IUBloomington and @IUFYE, and use the hashtag #IUWW12 for all the latest updates.
IU's other campuses also host events to welcome incoming students, including:
- IU Kokomo: Free food, an activities fair and an outdoor movie.
- IPFW: "Freshman Fest" includes block party, casino night and after-party events.
- IUPUI: "Weeks of Welcome" includes an ice cream social, resource and job fair, outdoor movie and "meet & greek" event.
- IU East: "Back with the Pack" events include a cookout featuring a zipline, mechanical bull and dunk tank, a student organization fair and a performance by South Jordan.
- IU Northwest: "Back 2 School Week" includes an information fair, "bongo ball" and a car smash fundraiser.
- IU Southeast: "Week of Welcome" includes a comedy show, free pancake breakfast, student veterans and greek organizations.
- IU South Bend: New student orientation and induction ceremony.