Last modified: Friday, September 6, 2013
Media advisory: IU to participate in train derailment tabletop exercise Sept. 10
EDITOR'S NOTE: Media interested in the tabletop exercise and its outcome can speak with John Hooker at the Cyberinfrastructure Building, 2709 E. 10th St., around 2 p.m. following the exercise.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sept. 6, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University Bloomington personnel representing various departments and offices across campus will participate, with 16 county, state and federal agencies, in a tabletop exercise Sept. 10 sponsored by the Monroe County Local Emergency Planning Committee. The exercise will focus on a train derailment adjacent to the IU Bloomington campus.
Those IU offices and departments represented in the emergency training exercise include the Indiana University Police Department, IU Emergency Management and Continuity, IU Campus Bus Service, IU Physical Plant, IU Environmental Health and Safety, and IU Bloomington administration.
This exercise will provide participants with an opportunity to assess capabilities, plans, policies and procedures. It will focus on decision-making, coordination and integration with other organizations during a train derailment.
The exercise scenario is based on a train carrying hazardous materials derailing from a track adjacent to the Bloomington campus of Indiana University, with at least one car on fire and releasing potentially dangerous chemicals into the air.
Participating agencies and organizations:
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Transportation Security Administration
- Indiana Department of Homeland Security
- IU Health Bloomington Hospital Emergency Medical Transport Service
- Bloomington Fire Department
- Indiana University Police Department
- Bloomington Township Fire Department, HazMat Team
- IU Emergency Management and Continuity
- Monroe County American Red Cross
- IU Campus Bus Service
- IU Physical Plant
- Monroe County Health Department
- IU Office of Environmental, Health and Safety Management
- Monroe Hospital
- IU Health Bloomington Hospital Emergency Management
- Indiana Railroad
- Bloomington Police Department
- Van Buren Township Fire Department
- Perry/Clear Creek Fire Department
- Monroe County Emergency Management
- Monroe County Central Dispatch
- Indiana University administration
- Monroe County Local Emergency Planning Committee