Last modified: Monday, July 28, 2008
Campus Bus Service to make adjustments to offset rising costs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 28, 2008
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The Indiana University Campus Bus Service will be adjusting bus service for the 2008-09 academic year to balance its budget with an 85 percent increase in diesel fuel costs and increases in other costs that totaled much more than the scheduled 2.8 percent increase in the mandatory student transportation fee for the coming academic year.
The IU Student Transportation Board advised Campus Bus Service to preserve the most heavily used "core" bus service to and from classes. The "core" bus service carries some 81 percent of Campus Bus' 3.3 million annual passengers.
As a result, major adjustments were required for weekend service and break service to balance the budget for the 2009 fiscal year. The following are the major adjustments for the 2008-09 academic year bus service:
- Semester Monday-through-Thursday core service on all routes (A, B, D, E, and X) will be reduced by 4 percent Adjustments will be primarily in the late afternoon and evening. All routes will now end at approximately 11 p.m., instead of midnight.
- The U Route will be eliminated. Passengers will be accommodated by the A Route and B Route.
- Friday service hours will be reduced by 16 percent. Adjustments will be primarily in the late afternoon and evening.
- Summer Session I and II service hours have already been reduced by approximately 32 percent.
- Weekend service hours during the fall and spring semesters will be reduced by 61percent. Bus service on campus will be provided from approximately 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and from approximately noon to 6 p.m. on Sundays. The E Route will provide hourly service to the College Mall on weekends.
- Class break and holiday service hours will be reduced by 73 percent. During class breaks, the E Route will operate from approximately 7:40 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays with hourly service to the College Mall in the afternoons. On weekends during class breaks, the E Route will provide hourly service to the College Mall.
- Overall, Campus Bus Service will be reduced by 19 percent for the coming academic year, compared to the 2007-08 academic year.
Campus Bus Service regrets having to make these reductions and understands it will affect the transportation patterns of students, faculty and staff. These reductions were necessary in order to respond to the rapidly escalating cost of diesel fuel.
All of these changes will be effective with the beginning of the academic year.
For more information or questions, please visit www.iubus.indiana.edu or call 812-855-8961.