Last modified: Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Drivers should plan to avoid some roads near the IU campus Friday
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oct. 22, 2008
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The 2008 Indiana University Homecoming Parade will be on Friday (Oct. 24), creating congestion and traffic delays near the parade route and staging area.
Drivers should plan to avoid these areas on Friday afternoon or leave early before the parade or allow time for the delay. The IU Police Department will have officers stationed at approximately 3:30 p.m. at major intersections to assist with pedestrian and vehicular traffic. Below is a tentative schedule:
3:45 p.m.: Staging of the parade vehicles on Rose Avenue between 3rd Street and 7th Street, and west on 7th Street from Rose Avenue.
- Access will be limited to 7th Street between Jordan Avenue and Union Street.
4:00- 5:15 p.m.: Parade participants will line up.
5:15 p.m. (approximately): A traffic pattern along the parade route will go into effect.
- Jordan Ave.: Traffic entering onto Jordan Avenue, north of Third Street, will be diverted north.
- 7th Street: No eastbound traffic from Jordan Avenue. No westbound traffic from Union Street.
- 3rd Street: No westbound traffic from High Street. All traffic from Union onto Third Street will be turned eastbound
- Indiana Ave.: Northbound traffic will be turned west at Third Street and Indiana Avenue.
5:30 p.m.: Parade begins.
6:30 p.m.: Parade ends at Sample Gates and pep rally begins.