Last modified: Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Search committee formed to identify new IU Northwest chancellor
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sept. 16, 2009
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- A 13-member search and screen committee has been formed to identify finalists for the position of chancellor of Indiana University Northwest, it was announced today (Sept. 16) by IU President Michael McRobbie.
The committee, which will meet with McRobbie on Thursday (Sept. 17), will initiate a national search for a replacement for current IU Northwest Chancellor Bruce Bergland, who is retiring after having served as chief executive officer of the Gary, Ind., campus since July 1999.
"I am confident that the search committee we have appointed will find those individuals who will continue the excellent progress IU Northwest has made over the last decade under the very capable leadership of Bruce Bergland," McRobbie said. "I look forward to appointing a new chancellor, who will build upon a foundation of strong academic programs and diversity, and further the campus' involvement in the economic, social and cultural future of the region."
IU Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs Edwin Marshall will chair the committee, which also includes representatives from the faculty, staff and student body at IU Northwest, as well as from the greater Northwest Indiana community. The committee will recommend a group of finalists to McRobbie for consideration. It hopes to complete its work by spring and has set a goal of having the new chancellor begin his or her term during the 2010-11 academic year.
In addition to Marshall, members of the search committee include:
- Garry Aloia, Managing Partner, New State Mortgage Company; Member, IUN Advisory Board
- Bala Arshanapalli, Professor, Finance; Gallagher-Mills Chair, School of Business and Economics, Indiana University Northwest
- Linda Delunas, Associate Professor, School of Nursing; Associate Dean, College of Health and Human Services, Indiana University Northwest
- Sharese Dudley, Director, Career Services, Indiana University Northwest
- Charles Gallmeier, Professor, Sociology; Chair, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Indiana University Northwest
- Audrea Gant-Davis, Head, Circulation/Periodicals/Reserves, Indiana University Northwest Library
- Chuck Hughes, Executive Director, Gary Chamber of Commerce
- Dorothy Ige, Professor, Department of Communication, Indiana University Northwest
- Cynthia O'Dell, Associate Professor, Psychology; Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Ken Schoon, Professor, Science Education; Associate Dean, School of Education, Indiana University Northwest
- James Wallace, President, Student African American Brotherhood; Student, Continuing Studies, Indiana University Northwest
- John Applegate, Vice President for Planning and Policy, Indiana University, Member Ex Officio, Liaison to the Office of the President
The firm of Witt/Kieffer will help facilitate the search. More information on the search will be available at https://www.iu.edu/~vppp/recruitment/IUNorthwestChancellor.shtml.
IU Northwest is dedicated to providing higher education to the people of the seven counties in northwest Indiana. Quality and relevance are the hallmarks of IU Northwest's programs. These programs serve the needs of the most diverse, urban and industrialized area of the state. Out of this diversity, IU Northwest strives to create a community dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and the value of education.