Last modified: Wednesday, September 23, 2009
IU Libraries offered free access to IU Press Online
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sept. 23, 2009
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- As the fall 2009 semester begins, Indiana University Press announced that all Indiana University libraries will have immediate and free access to IU Press Online, an initiative by IU Press to make scholarship that it publishes available without cost to the Indiana University community.
IU Press Online (IUPO), which was launched in the spring of this year, is a hearty collection of some of Indiana University Press's best books and themed journal issues organized into subject area collections for easy browsing and searching. It now includes about 400 full-text titles, and new content is added monthly.
Books and journal issues are available for purchase as full-text single titles or by subscription to one or more subject areas. Currently the collections offered are African Studies; African American and Diaspora Studies; Jewish and Holocaust Studies; Music; Philosophy; Religion; and Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
IU Press Online is chock-full of first-rate features, including:
- Fast downloads (regardless of the size of the document)
- Page-specific URLs for easy book-marking, citing, and sharing (including social book-marking services such as Delicious and Digg)
- Usability in any browser, including Web-enabled handhelds such as the iPhone
- Fully searchable documents with relevancy-ranked search results
- Search capability across the entire site or by collection, title, or within specific metadata fields
- Search hits that link directly to a specific page and not just to the document
- A variety of online viewing options such as full-screen zoom to support different user preferences and browsers
- Built-in subscription-based RSS feeds for automatic updates when content is added.
Janet Rabinowitch, director of Indiana University Press, said: "As a member of the Indiana University community, IU Press is proud to advance the university's mission by publishing, disseminating, and preserving knowledge through our books and journals. IU Press Online is an important step in our support of the university as it allows us to further extend IU's intellectual reach throughout the world. At the same time, we are pleased to offer the community here at IU open access to some of the best scholarship we publish."