Last modified: Thursday, October 15, 2009
IU faculty panel, talk by sustainability director part of '350 Bloomington' events
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oct. 15, 2009
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- A panel discussion by Indiana University professors on responding to climate change and a talk by the IU Bloomington director of sustainability are among "Bloomington 350" events leading up to an international day of action on climate change on Oct. 24.
Faculty members will discuss "Best Approaches to Combating Climate Change: Short- and Long-Term Perspectives" from noon to 1:30 p.m., Friday (Oct. 16), at the Dogwood Room of the Indiana Memorial Union, 900 E. Seventh St. Panelists will include A. James Barnes, J.C. Randolph and Kenneth Richards from the IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs and Bennet Brabson, professor emeritus of physics.
Bill Brown, who became the first IU Bloomington director of sustainability in March 2009, will be the featured speaker at Green Drinks Bloomington on Wednesday, Oct. 21. The event takes place 5:30-8 p.m. at Upland Brewing Co., 350 W. 11th St. Call Marcia Veldman at 988-4956 for information.
The Oct. 24 action day is being organized around the world by 350.org, an international campaign aimed at gain support for solutions to the issue of climate change. The campaign was launched in March 2008 by the writer Bill McKibben and a team of organizers. In Bloomington, Oct. 24 events will include a noon rally at the Bloomington Community Farmers' Market; a parade at 12:30 p.m. from the Farmers' Market to Third Street Park; and music, speakers and art from 1-6 p.m. at Third Street Park.
The number 350 reflects the belief of some scientists that 350 parts per million is the safe upper limit of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to avoid catastrophic climate effects. (The current level is 390 ppm and rising by 2 ppm a year, organizers say). The activities are time to call attention to the issue leading up to world leaders' December meetings in Copenhagen, Denmark, to discuss climate change and greenhouse gas emissions reductions.
Other local events include:
- A Cool Earth Relay on Saturday, Oct. 17. (https://www.coolearthrelay.org/.)
- The film Food Inc. at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 18, at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave.
- The film The Age of Stupid, 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 19, at Rachael's Café, 300 E. Third St.
- Mountaintop Removal Road Show, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 20, IMU Dogwood Room (https://www.mountainroadshow.com.)
- A presentation by John Blair of the Evansville, Ind., environmental group Valleywatch, 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 22, SPEA Atrium
- The film Fresh, 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 23, Boxcar Books, 408 E. Sixth St.