Last modified: Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Indiana University Bloomington celebrates Campus Sustainability Day Wednesday
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Oct. 25, 2011
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University Bloomington will join universities and colleges across the nation this Wednesday (Oct. 26) in celebrating Campus Sustainability Day, an event that was created in 2003 to draw attention to the growing momentum of sustainability initiatives in institutions of higher education.
"I hope everyone will join us as we celebrate the work of hundreds of student, faculty and staff volunteers who strive to make our campus and community thrive with a higher quality of life and lower environmental impact," said Director of Sustainability Bill Brown. "Campus Sustainability Day will give people multiple opportunities to become a part of this growing effort and personally commit to being part of the solution."
In partnership with the Bloomington Professional Council (BPC) and the Student Sustainability Council (SSC), the Office of Sustainability (IUOS) has developed activities and events to support students, faculty and staff members in creating an environmentally, socially and economically healthy campus community.
Opportunities to make personal commitments to live, learn and work more sustainably include:
- The Energy Challenge Pledge: The Energy Challenge Pledge lists 16 simple actions for reducing individual water and energy consumption. To take the pledge, visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Take-the-Pledge
- Support the IU Sustainability Fund: Last fall, the SSC and its member organizations collected more than 11,000 student signatures in support of the IU Sustainability Fund. Students now have the option to donate $5 to support student determined sustainability projects on campus. Students may follow this path to donate: Onestart > Student Services > Financial > Optional Services. Faculty and staff can match the student fund by donating to the Bloomington Campus Sustainability Fund at: https://tinyurl.com/3ev2ngm
- No Print Day: The BPC has scheduled its No Print Day to coincide with Campus Sustainability Day. The initiative encourages staff members to reduce or refrain completely from printing for one day. To sign up for No Print Day, visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TLPZWRT
Sustainability outreach programming today includes:
- Campus Garden Initiative Workday, 4-5 p.m. at the Bryan House Garden: Oct. 26 will mark the closing day of the first growing season at the Bryan House Garden, a student-run pilot campus garden on the east lawn of the Bryan House. Visitors may stop by to help harvest the last of the garden produce and prepare the space for winter. Volunteers will also be able to vote for which produce they would like grown at their central campus garden in its inaugural growing season next year.
- Campus Bicycle Ride, 5:15 p.m. at the Sample Gates: Join Office of Sustainability staff and interns for a bicycle safety lesson and ride through campus. Bicyclists of all levels are welcome.
- Campus Sustainability Day Green Drinks Bloomington Lecture, 6 p.m. at Upland Banquet Center: Director of Sustainability Bill Brown will speak to the campus and Bloomington community about "Applied Sustainability: Student Leadership in Campus and Community Sustainability at IU Bloomington." All ages are welcome. For additional information: https://www.socializr.com/event/933857554
The IU Office of Sustainability will update the Campus Sustainability Day website with rain locations and dates. For more information on national Campus Sustainability Day events, visit: https://www.aashe.org/campus-sustainability-day. For more information on the Office of Sustainability and its programming, visit https://www.indiana.edu/~sustain.