Last modified: Thursday, April 18, 2013
IU Dean of Students announces annual awards
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 18, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Awards were presented today to students, faculty, staff and people in the community for their contributions to the Dean of Students, the Division of Student Affairs and Indiana University Bloomington.
Nominations were made by the division's staff members and chosen by an award selections committee. The awards were presented by IU Dean of Students Harold "Pete" Goldsmith.
The recipients and their awards are:
- McKaig Student Award -- Aaron Kaleb Crain, a sophomore majoring in social studies in the School of Education.
- Division Student Staff Award -- Anne Rowland, student career ambassador at the IU Career Development Center.
- Gordon Faculty Award -- Matthew Auer, dean of the Hutton Honors College and professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs.
- Staff Award -- Holly Hamilton, interim university registrar and business systems director of student records.
- Division Support Staff Award -- Lynda Curson, Health & Wellness Education, IU Health Center.
- Shaffer Professional Staff Award -- Tamir Hussain, clinical information systems project manager at the IU Health Center.
- Schreck Community Award -- Middle Way House.
- Campus Program Award -- CultureFest, Office of First Year Experiences.
- Shoemaker Special Merit Award -- In memory of Keith Cash, IU Police Department chief.
Several of the awards honor former deans of students who have served at the Bloomington campus. The Shoemaker Special Merit Award is named for Col. Raymond L. Shoemaker, dean of students from 1946 to 1955; the Shaffer Division Professional Staff Award is named for Robert H. Shaffer (1955-69); the Schreck Community Award is named for Thomas C. Schreck (1969-81); the Gordon Faculty Award is named for Michael V. W. Gordon (1981-91) and the McKaig Student Award is named for Richard N. McKaig (1991-2009).
Other awards presented were:
- P.J. and Hilda Hill Senior Recognition Award -- Erik Ferrer, a senior in the Kelley School of Business. The award goes to an outstanding senior on the IU Bloomington campus who has done the most to "better race relationships on the IU campus" during his or her undergraduate career.
- Ward G. Biddle Vision Awards -- former IU trustee Sue Talbot and in memory of Keith Cash.
- Sharon Stephens Brehm Award -- Indiana Prevention Resource Center.
- Phyllis Klotman Personal Safety Awards -- Craig Troemel, Personal Safety Achievement. Award; IU Student Association and Culture of Care, Kyle Straub, Katy Flanigan and Dia Sharma, Leadership in Personal Safety Award.
Office of Student Ethics Awards:
- Pillars of Community Awards -- Leslie Fasone; in memory of Keith Cash
- The Impact Award -- Anna Krause
- The Difference of One Award -- Taylor Triemstra
- Outstanding Organization -- Kappa Delta Sorority