Last modified: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Electronic waste recycling scheduled at IU Bloomington, IU South Bend
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 30, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- It's time to drag those old electronic devices out of the closet. Electronic Waste Collection Days will take place May 10 and 11 at Indiana University Bloomington and IU South Bend.
The event will provide free drop-off collection for institutions and businesses on Friday, May 10, and for the public on Saturday, May 11. It's an easy way to get rid of old or obsolete computers and accessories, audio and video devices, office equipment, cell phones and other items.
At IU Bloomington, this marks the fifth and final year of E-Waste Collection Days. Begun through the IU Office of Sustainability, the project had a goal of increasing opportunities for proper disposal of e-waste. The campus is shifting its focus to public awareness now that the District in Monroe County is offering free, year-round e-waste recycling, the City of Bloomington sponsors e-waste events and IU Surplus Stores processes campus e-waste.
"E-Waste Days was conceived by a student sustainability intern to answer an urgent need for responsible recycling of this hazardous material," said Bill Brown, director of sustainability for IU Bloomington. "We are pleased to see how dramatically the amount of e-waste has declined over the years in this annual collection and also happy that more options for local, year-round e-waste recycling have come online to take its place."
In the past four years, IU e-waste recycling events have collected 2,267,000 pounds of electronic equipment on three campuses. IU Bloomington and IU South Bend have participated every year, and Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis took part in 2009 and 2011.
IU Bloomington Electronic Waste Collection Days
- When: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, May 10, for schools, universities, businesses and nonprofits; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 11, for the general public.
- Where: Purple lot north of Memorial Stadium; enter Gate 9 on North Dunn Street.
- Sponsored by: IU Office of Sustainability and University Information Technology Services, City of Bloomington and the District (formerly Monroe County Solid Waste Management District).
- More information: IU Bloomington E-Waste Collection Days website
IU South Bend Electronic Waste Recycling Fest
- When: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, May 10, for businesses; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 11, for the general public.
- Where: IU South Bend parking lot at Vine and 20th streets.
- Sponsored by: IU South Bend Center for a Sustainable Future.
- More information: IU South Bend E-Waste Collection Days website
At IU Bloomington, Serve IT will be on hand May 10 to collect working electronic equipment dropped off by businesses and institutions. Serve IT is an Indiana University-based service organization that refurbishes privately donated electronic equipment for reuse by community organizations.
None of the electronics that are collected will be processed for resale, and any equipment that could contain sensitive data will be shredded. All equipment that is dropped off will be reused or recycled and kept out of landfills. Recycling services are provided by Apple Inc.
Electronic products are made from valuable resources and materials, including metals, plastics and glass, all of which require energy to mine and manufacture. Consequently, recycling consumer electronics conserves natural resources and reduces air and water pollution as well as greenhouse gas emissions.
According to the EPA, recycling 1 million laptop computers saves as much energy as the electricity used by more than 3,500 U.S. homes in a year. Recycling 1 million cell phones saves 35,000 pounds of copper, 772 pounds of silver, 75 pounds of gold and 33 pounds of palladium. More information about proper disposal of electronic waste is available on the EPA's website.