Last modified: Thursday, July 25, 2013
Search begins for IU Kokomo chancellor
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 25, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- A 13-member search and screen committee has been formed to identify finalists for the position of chancellor of Indiana University Kokomo. John Applegate, IU executive vice president for university academic affairs, announced the committee's formation today.
The committee, which will begin meeting in August, will initiate a national search for a chancellor. Susan Sciame-Giesecke has served as interim chancellor since the resignation of Michael Harris in September 2012.
"I am confident that the search committee we have appointed will find those individuals who will continue the excellent progress IU Kokomo has made in the region," Applegate said. "I look forward to appointing a new chancellor, who will build upon a foundation of strong academic programs and further the campus's involvement in the economic, social and cultural future of the area."
IU Northwest Chancellor William Lowe will chair the committee, which also includes representatives from the faculty, staff and student body at IU Kokomo, as well as from the local community. The committee will recommend a group of finalists to Applegate for consideration in the spring of 2014, with the new chancellor expected to start in July 2014. The formal appointment of the chancellor is made by the IU Board of Trustees.
In addition to Lowe, members of the search committee are:
- Brian Arwood, Student Government Association president at Indiana University Kokomo
- Mary Bourke, assistant professor and assistant dean of graduate programs in the School of Nursing at IU Kokomo
- Chris Darr, associate professor of communication arts at IU Kokomo
- Christina Downey, associate professor of psychology and director of IU-SEEK at IU Kokomo
- Michael Finkler, professor of biology in the School of Science at IU Kokomo
- Judith Golitko, attorney at Golitko & Daly P.C. and president of the IU Kokomo Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Robert Hayes Sr., Kokomo city councilman at large and member of the Board of Advisors at IU Kokomo and IU Alumni Association Board of Managers
- Scott Jones, associate professor of new media communication and dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at IU Kokomo
- Lucien Madding, shipping and receiving, Physical Plant at IU Kokomo
- Yusuf Nur, assistant professor of strategic management at the School of Business at IU Kokomo
- Tracy Springer, manager of career services and disability services at IU Kokomo
- Member ex officio Jennifer Kincaid, chief of staff/director of policy administration in Office of the Executive Vice President for University Academic Affairs
The firm of Storbeck/Pimentel will help facilitate the search. More information on the search is available online.
IU Kokomo serves as an essential educational resource and an important element of economic development in its 14-county region in north central Indiana. IU Kokomo has more than 3,700 students and offers nearly 70 undergraduate and graduate programs.