Last modified: Friday, August 23, 2013
Resale Trail turning Bloomington into a citywide garage sale Saturday
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Aug. 23, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The third annual Resale Trail will link seven sale events featuring used or repurposed items including furniture, clothes and more on Saturday, Aug. 24.
First organized in 2011, the Resale Trail is designed to encourage community members and students returning for the fall semester to purchase used items in good condition and at affordable prices, while helping divert large amounts of waste from the landfill. The event was originally built around the Hoosier to Hoosier Community Sale, which collects items from on- and off-campus student move-out during the spring and resells them to community members and students in the fall at affordable prices.
"Hoosiers love a yard sale and the hunt for a treasure. So this Saturday is a special day when Monroe County residents and many from out of town come to get their shop on," said Steve Akers, associate director of environmental operations at Indiana University Residential Programs and Services. "The bonus is for students moving to town this week. They will have an opportunity to furnish their new digs with everything from a hair dryer to a couch."
This year's Resale Trail is the largest yet, with seven sites organized by a diverse group of community organizations, businesses and area agencies. The Resale Trail web page features a map of sale sites. Organizers hope that linking multiple sites through the Resale Trail will encourage long-term thrift-shopping behavior among students and reduce the community's waste footprint.
"The Resale Trail brings partners together across the community to show people what reuse and waste reduction is all about, right at a time when our newest Bloomington residents are moving into town," said Jacqui Bauer, City of Bloomington sustainability coordinator.
This year's seven locations are:
- Hoosier to Hoosier Community Sale, The Warehouse at 1525 S. Rogers St., 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.; $5 admission before 9:30 a.m., free later; cash only.
- Habitat ReStore Patio Sale, 2450 S. Henderson St., 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Vintage Vogue by Goodwill sale, 422 E. Kirkwood Ave., 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Near Westside Neighborhood Association yard sales throughout the neighborhood bordered by Adams, Rogers and Ninth streets and West Kirkwood Avenue; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; fliers with locations available at 702 W. Seventh St.
- IU Surplus Stores, 2931 E. 10th St. (entrance off North Range Road); 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Unitarian Universalist Church, 2120 N. Fee Lane (Fee and the Indiana 46 Bypass), 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Bloomington/Monroe County Convention Center "Makevention," 302 S College Ave., 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
More information about Hoosier to Hoosier, including details about how to volunteer, is available online.