Three IU soccer players named to All Decade Team
Jan. 13, 2010
Indiana University standouts Danny O'Rourke (2001-04), Pat Noonan (1999-2002) and Ryan Mack (1998-2000, 02) were recently named to the College Soccer News Team of the Decade.
Wake Forest led the way with four representatives, followed by the Hoosiers and Connecticut with three each.
The online service recently selected its most outstanding players for the time period of 2000-2009, with O'Rourke making the first team cut. The midfielder, currently playing professionally with the Columbus Crew, earned All-America honors in 2004 as he led the Hoosiers to a national title. O'Rourke was awarded the Missouri Athletic Club Hermann Trophy that season.
During his career, Indiana was 69-15-9 overall with four Big Ten regular season titles, two Big Ten tournament titles, three NCAA College Cup appearances and two NCAA Championship titles. He was team captain during both championship years. In addition to the Hermann Trophy, O'Rourke was named the National Soccer Coaches Association of America Scholar Athlete of the Year.
Noonan was named to the 11-man second team. A forward, Noonan was a three-time All-American at Indiana and was runner-up for the Hermann Trophy in 2001 and 2002. During his four seasons, he led the Hoosiers to three College Cups, with two NCAA championship game appearances and a national title in 1999.
Noonan started every game played in four seasons at IU and finished his career sixth in the history books with 127 points and seventh in goals with 48. Since leaving IU, Noonan has had a successful professional career both in Major League Soccer and overseas. He also earned 14 caps with the U.S. Men's National Team.
Mack, a third-team selection, was part of IU NCAA championship teams in 1998 and 1999 and led Indiana in assists in 2000 (12) and 2002 (9). Mack's 85 shot attempts in 2000 ranks tied for 10th on the IU all-time list, while his 12 assists in 2000 is tied for ninth. Mack also is tied for ninth on the Indiana career assist list with 34, and 10th in career shot attempts (245).
"The Indiana Soccer program has been fortunate to have so many special players wear the IU jersey," said head coach Todd Yeagley. "We are very excited and proud of Danny, Pat and Ryan for being selected to the All-Decade Team. All three were key members of championship teams during their time at IU and have gone on to have distinquished professional careers."
From 2000-2009, the Indiana men's soccer program won two nationals titles (2003, 2004), seven Big Ten regular season titles (2000-04, 2006-07) and three Big Ten tournament titles (2001, 2003, 2006), and complied a record of 152-50-27 (.722).
College Soccer News Team of the Decade
- Marcus Tracy, F, Wake Forest
- Alecko Eskandarian, F, Virginia
- Jason Garey, F, Maryland
- O'Brian White, F, Connecticut
- Luchi Gonzalez, F, SMU
- Danny O'Rourke, MF, Indiana
- Kyle Martino, MF, Virginia
- Corben Bone, MF, Wake Forest
- Chris Gbandi, D, Connecticut
- Chris Wingert, D, St. John's
- Andy Iro, D, UC Santa Barbara
- Chris Sawyer, GK, Notre Dame
- Joseph Ngwenya, F, Coastal Carolina
- Pat Noonan, F, Indiana
- John Barry Nusum, F, Furman
- Joe Lapira, F, Notre Dame
- Sumed Ibrahim, MF, Maryland
- Diego Walsh, MF, SMU
- Mehdi Ballouchy, MF, Santa Clara
- C.J. Klaas, MF, Washington
- Julius James, D, Connecticut
- Danny Jackson, D, North Carolina
- William Hemser, GK, Wake Forest
- Ryan Pore, F, Tulsa
- Charlie Davies, F, Boston College
- Andre Akpan, F, Harvard
- Alejandro Bedoya, MF, Boston College
- Ryan Mack, MF, Indiana
- Adolfo Gregario, MF, UCLA
- Scott Jones, MF, UNC Greensboro
- Todd Dunivant, D, Stanford
- Ike Opara, D, Wake Forest
- Andrew Boynes, D, New Mexico
- Jovan Bubonja, GK, UIC