Last modified: Friday, November 1, 2002
Trustees name presidential search committee
FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- The Indiana University Board of Trustees today (Nov. 1) appointed a 17-member committee to lead the search for a new university president. Trustee Stephen L. Ferguson, vice president of the board, will chair the committee, which is charged with developing a list of five to seven finalists for the position and bringing that recommendation back to the board.
The Trustees expect to name a new president by July 1.
"This group will identify and bring to the board the most outstanding and qualified candidates for the presidency of Indiana University," said Frederick F. Eichhorn Jr., board president. "This is a diverse group with individuals who are dedicated to finding the best leader for the university. The task of searching for a new president is one of the most important responsibilities the board faces, and a search committee is vital in assisting us with selecting the right individual."
The board also named IUPUI Chancellor Gerald Bepko as IU's interim president today. Bepko will serve in the role until a new president is in place. IU President Myles Brand announced on Oct. 10 that he would leave his post on Dec. 31 to become president of the National Collegiate Athletic Association.
The presidential search committee is composed of two trustees, three Bloomington faculty members, two IUPUI faculty members, one regional campus faculty member, one student, one staff member, one chancellor, one alumni representative, one dean and four public members. Eichhorn will serve as an ex-officio member of the committee.
Eichhorn selected committee members based on many nominations received from throughout the university community. Committee members are:
- Trustee Stephen L. Ferguson, vice president of the board, chair of the presidential search committee
- Trustee Sue H. Talbot
- Robert Eno, co-chair of the University Faculty Council, IUB associate professor of East Asian Languages and Cultures, and director, graduate studies, East Asian Languages and Cultures
- John A. McCluskey, IUB professor of Afro-American Studies
- George D. Kuh, IUB Chancellor's Professor of education
- Ora H. Pescovitz, IUPUI Edwin Letzter professor of pediatrics, professor of cellular and integrative physiology, and executive associate dean for research affairs
- Marianne S. Wokeck, IUPUI associate professor of history
- Chris E. Bjornson, IU Southeast associate professor of business administration
- Ruth J. Person, IU Kokomo chancellor
- Blair Greenberg, IUB junior majoring in business and treasurer of Indiana University Student Association
- Katherine English, senior administrative secretary, IUPUI School of Dentistry
- Kumble R. Subbaswamy, IUB dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and professor of physics
- Ken Beckley, president and chief executive officer, IU Alumni Association
- Sarah Evans Barker, judge of the United States District Court, Southern District of Indiana and member of IU School of Law Board of Visitors
- Donald C. Danielson, vice chairman, City Securities Corp. in Indianapolis, and member of the IU Foundation Board of Directors
- Scott A. Jones, president of Escient Technologies in Indianapolis, and chair of the Indiana University Information Technology Advisory Council
- August M. Watanabe, executive vice president for science and technology, Eli Lilly and Company in Indianapolis, and co-chair of the campaigns for the School of Medicine and the Herron School of Art
Ferguson has been a member of the board since 1998. His current term expires in 2004. He is executive vice president of Cook Group Inc.
The search committee will begin its work on or before Dec. 1. It also is authorized to employ an executive search firm to assist with recruitment and consideration of candidates, but no such firm has been selected.