Last modified: Friday, April 25, 2008
Obesity across the lifespan topic of IU, AmeriCorps conference
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 25, 2008
INDIANAPOLIS -- Obesity experts from Indiana University, Clarian Health and other state and local health organizations will offer insights and strategies for combating this pervasive health issue during a free conference in Indianapolis on May 9.
Various breakout sessions will address obesity issues as they pertain to specific populations, such as the elderly, disabled, minorities and children. Surgical procedures, coalition building and other topics also will be discussed.
Indiana State Health Commissioner Judith Monroe will give the keynote address, discussing obesity and smoking cessation.
"AmeriCorps Improving Health Throughout Indiana is dedicated to reducing the obesity rate in Indiana," said Erin Cooperman, program coordinator for AIHTI. "This conference will provide a unique opportunity for professionals, students and community members to learn from experts in the field for free while networking with others who share the same goal. "
"Health Bound Indiana," will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Ruth Lilly Learning Center, Riley Outpatient Center, at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. Registration is required. To register, contact firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1.
The conference is hosted by AmericCorps Improving Health Throughout Indiana and Clarian Health. AIHTI is a partnership between the Indiana State Department of Health and IU Bloomington's School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, which is coordinating the three-year program. AIHTI allows 35 AmeriCorps members -- 15 in Bloomington and 20 in Indianapolis -- to work with a wide variety of agencies to help Hoosiers reduce obesity, and consequent serious medical problems and exorbitant costs to treat them.
Below are some of the presenters involved with "Health Bound Indiana:"
- David Lohrmann, professor, School of HPER, "Health Promotion in Schools: The Future is Now."
- Antonio Williams, lecturer, School of HPER, "Physical Activity: The Anecdote to Childhood Obesity."
- Lesa Lorenzen-Huber, clinical assistant professor, School of HPER, "Fit & Strong: Increasing Older Adults' Physical Activity."
- Penny Caudill, health educator, Monroe County Health Department; Jennifer Staab, healthy school coordinator, Monroe County Community School Corp.; Paula McDevitt, recreation services director, City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation, "Building Active Coalitions."
- Mary Jo McClintic, registered dietician, Bloomington Hospital, "Healthy Hoosiers Program."
- Patrick Dean, sports program coordinator, Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana Sports, "Disabilities: Creative Ways to Manage Nutrition and Fitness."
- Lorie Blythe, Clinical Nurse Specialist for Bariatrics, Clarian Health,"Weight Loss: Surgical Procedure Options."
- Calvin Roberson, vice president of planning and program development, Minority Health Coalition in Indianapolis, "Pounds of Burden: Obesity at a Glance."
- Laura Hormuth, state coordinator for the national fruit and vegetable alliance program, Indiana State Department of Health, "Dining on a Budget."
- Dr. Sandeep Gupta, director, Endoscopy Service, Riley Hospital for Children, "Pediatric Overweight Education Research."
- Laura McCammack, Clarian Health, "Strength Train Anywhere, Anytime."
For more information, contact Katie Koselke at 812-856-5240 or email@example.com.